Monday, March 10, 2008

1/2 Marathon in a Monsoon....anyone?
So on Saturday Morehead City has it's inaugural Crystal Coast 1/2 Marathon in conditions that were sub-par to say the least. When the alarm went off at 6am, the weather channel was reporting "gail force winds" (over 20mph steady) with gusts up to 35 mph for Carteret County. So what do we do, we wait and watch the radar to see if Fitz is really going to try to run this thing. At 7:20am we left our house to register and make the 8am start. The race director had to delay the start by 30 minutes due to having to re-set up the start line after taking it down the night before. My dad of course had on 3 layers of clothes (to protect him from the balmy 67 degree temperatures), long pants, a poncho, gloves, and a baseball hat. He ended up ditching the poncho in hopes that it would not rain anymore. The race start and my mom and I trekked up to the only hill on the course, the bridge over to the beach to cheer and watch the racers. At 57 min in to the race the skies opened up with rain that felt like mother nature was shoot droplets at you out of a nail gun (and we were standing still). I can not imagine what the racers must have felt like; Fitz said he actually had water going up his nose. Then us cheerers started our trek back to the finish line to see how everyone did. Fitz ended up 5th overall and still beat the first woman; I am not 100% sure of the time because we did not make it to the finish line in time, and they have not printed the results in the local paper.
The rest of the weekend was great; we made the drive to Raleigh then Fitz continued on to Richmond for a bachelor party. I got to have goodberry's (heath bar speciality sundae with rainbow sprinkle) with my bud Dustin. Got to do a bit of shopping at REI, picked up Tara and had dinner with my good friend Leslie from CA, Michele and Brett from FL, and Jessica. Then I faced the cold weather for a "long jog" of 45 min in Cary, NC followed by a fabulous brunch at 518 West with my girls to catch up sans kids on everyone's goings on. All in all a great weekend. I am now fighting a bit of a cold, but will be back in the swing of things tomorrow. One thing I can say about being pregnant is the baby will take all that she needs and leave me feeling like crap. So I'm not so worried about her even though I feel under the weather.

No comments: