Sunday, May 18, 2008





Nelson Bay Challenge 2008!!
It use to be on the first Saturday of May, starting at noon, with a beer wagon, funny hat division, first Carteret County finisher award, and the buzzard award for the person "who left it all on the course" (aka Last place). But that was then, now it starts at 10am, and is lacking some of the "original" flare, but then again it's not the same race. Our friends Richard and Melanie made the trip down on Friday to stay with us and then head out to the race on Saturday morning. Both my dad and Richard were doing the race, but at times it does not seem like they were doing the same race. Richard easily won in 1.00.08 (he did not wear a watch so he did not know he was so close to making it under an hour), followed by Paul Quinn (a local who is also a Judge) in third place. My dad has some mechanical failure with his bike and ended up on the sag wagon/mech truck and DNF-ed. We then got to enjoy the "down east" clam bake and some time visiting with other tri-friends. It was Lilly's first experience at a race, and she did really well. All in all a very fun day. The photos are as follows: Richard on the bike (he was second out of the water, but caught first place really quickly); me, my mom and dad before the race; can you believe that guy is pushing 60 and is my dad?!; My dad on the bike (before the mechanical failure), and Paul Quinn and his son Ben.
I kind of missed racing, but not enough to get in to the cold water on Nelson Bay!!! St. Croix 2010; here I come!!!

No comments: