Saturday, April 05, 2008




It's been a very long week!!
Oh, gosh where to start with what's been going on since Monday. After I posted the blog update from the shower, I called in to the doctors office to just go in and have things checked out due to some leakage. Well they had me come in right away and turns out I was in labor (contractions and all) and I was 2cm dilated. At under 34 weeks this means an immediate trip to the hospital, do not pass go, do not get your toothbrush. So Monday at 1pm, I was admitted to Labor and Delivery and started on IV fluids to try and stop the contractions and therefore labor. Then I was given a does of steroids to try and mature her lungs as quickly as possible. When the regular fluids did not seem to be working I was put on Magnesium Sulfate (also known as epsom salt). This is some wicked stuff, it is used to stop seizures so it really makes you feel crappy (I used the term ass). You get very flushed and hot, with a searing headache, blurred vision, and you have to be on permanent bed rest so using a bed pan became my new talent. This part of the treatment lasted for 48 hours (until 3pm on Wed) to give the steroid the most time to be effective. This meant a liquid diet, blood draws every 6 hours through out the day and night, and very little sleep. On Tuesday I had an ultrasound to determine her size, and see what she was doing in there. At the time she was estimated at 5lb 2 oz, and acting just perfect inside; practicing breathing, and swallowing fluid. Did I mention that Fitz was at a site visit in Regina, Canada?! Luckily, my folks are real troopers and they stated with me around the clock; even learning the bed pan routine very well. Thank goodness I was back in MHC.
The Mag managed to stop my cervical progression and hold me at a steady 2cm, 90% effaced, and -1 station. So all good news; until around 11pm Wed evening when the contractions started again. I still was not making any progress towards labor, but it seems as if the little one was hell bent on coming in to the world. Each day brought new challenges and a different doctor with a different "game plan" for me. Some indicated that they just wanted me to make it to 34 weeks (Wed) others thought I might be going home on very strict bed rest, others wanted to ship me to Pitt Memorial hospital via helicopter in Greenville NC, and still others thought I just might need to go back on Mag to stop the labor. Thursday started with a new IV being put in my hand to start Mag at noon. I got 2 doses of tribotaline (another drug used to stop labor and contractions), this worked mostly all day so that was good. And I even got to get up and use the bathroom alone (it's the little things in life). So Fitz and I hunkered down for the night around 11:30pm. This was quickly followed by and very meek "uh-oh!" from my hospital bed as I now lay in a puddle. It was the feeling like a balloon popped from the inside and there was no stopping the flow. Fitz jumped up and I rang for the nurse to come in just as the contractions really started to be tough.
The doctor on call came in, checked me and said "well looks like your going to be a Mommy." As the minutes passed my perfectly planned all natural birth began slipping out of the window; the pain was very intense so I just could not imagine going on for hours like this. Since my water had broken I was not allowed to stand up and walk around to ease the discomfort; nor could I use the whirl pool tub for the pain. So I decided to call for an epidural, and hopefully calm my aching body (just as a reminder I have now been in the hospital for nearly 4 days with minimal food, privacy, sleep ect-I was just basically drained on all levels). The doctor came in and checked again and I was progressing fast, but they called the anesthesiologist on call and he was there within 15 min. To my dismay; when I was checked again prior to the epidural; I was 9cm, 100% effaced, and at -2 station. She was basically ready to come on out. No time for drugs of any kind, just had to let my body work it's magic. So after 30 or so minutes of pushing, it was all over. Lilliana Kolina Fitzula had been born at 1:43am on 4/4/08. She was a whopping 5lb 9 oz, and nearly 18 inches long (very tiny), and boy did she have a set of lungs on her. I think the steroids really helped with that. So I remained on the table sans drugs getting stitched up with my Mom by my side (Fitz had gone with the baby). The doctor indicated that all was well with me and the baby they were just getting her warm and keeping a close eye on her vitals. At 3am I got to go and see the little one all hooked up to monitors, but doing just great and then it was time to try and rest.
Since I had been in the hospital for such along time, the nurses and I had a repertoire that was a little more then just caregiver and patient. So when asked what was more painful the Ironman or child birth...hands down this child birth wins. I was really pushing with all of my might and managed to pop blood vessels in my face and neck (luckily they just look like freckles on me). Also my upper body is very sore now, it seems that I was really lifting my body off the bed to ease the pain. As of now; Lilly is doing great for a preemie; she has lost a little more weight then the pediatrician would like (she's down about 7%), and she has a case of the "tomato" jaundice, but so do nearly 80% of preemies so it's nothing to be too concerned about. She will not be released home today, but hopefully tomorrow or the next day. I am waiting for my final evaluation and hopefully get my discharge papers. They have a very cool program here at CGH where if the mother is discharged and is breast feeding, but the baby has to stay they allow you to keep a room at no charge and still get fed by the hospital. This would allow to leave the hospital and get somethings done, but still stay over night here and be there to feed.
We want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, flowers and gifts since Monday; it has been an interesting time for our little family and your well wishes are irreplaceable and helped us through the whole process. Come visit us when possible and thanks for everything. All the best to you and yours. More pictures will be posted as we find time to take them and up load them.

No comments: