Friday, September 19, 2008

And lots of it too!
I think the image is self explanatory, so there is no title for this post, but to tell my story anyhow... Yesterday around 2:45pm, a very nice, young, good looking FedEx driver made a stop at the house to pick up what he may have thought to be some type of NORMAL package for overnight delivery to Raleigh. So he begins scanning the package (which just happens to be a blue cooler-like the ones you would store fish in on a boat) maybe a little strange, but still fairly normal. Then he reads the BIG, RED label affixed next to the FedEx label...stating....CONTAINS HUMAN BREAST MILK, FRAGILE, PERISHABLE, CALL MILK BANK AT ###-#### upon arrival. And he looks up, with a questionable look on his face and merely states..."Gosh, nice weather we are having." I'm not sure he knew what to make of the blue cooler full of of breast milk (522.5oz to be exact), with the person who obviously made the milk standing right in front of him. I bet he got a good laugh when he told the story to his friends, family and or co-workers later on. To make the rest of the story short, instead of giving money or volunteering my time (which are both hard to come by these days), I found where I can donate my milk for a good cause. They will pasteurize the milk and give it to preemie babies, and very young children who are going through chemo or radiation. When I called yesterday to let the milk bank know my package was on the way, they told me they were completely out of milk. So, I was glad to be able to help. If anyone is interested in donating milk, check out the website at http://www.wakemed.com/body.cfm?id=135
I hope this did not gross anyone out, at least I'm not selling it on ebay! :)

4 comments:

Krista said...

That is awesome!!!!! We had a freezer full of milk that we used when I returned to work, but I probably could have pumped extra for a cause like this as well. Much props to you awesome momma!!!!

LZ said...

I agree with my sis...this is extremely cool and when/if we have kids, this is definitely something I would want to do! Kudos to you!!!

Coombs said...

Your crazy...lol! Great cause; too bad I had to pump for two already or I might have considered it!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a hilarious story! And how cool, sending milk to other babies need - that's really amazing. If my little bitties decide to produce, I'll have to check that out, hee hee!