Tuesday, October 21, 2008


Anniversary come and gone...
My Mom sent me an email this morning reminding me that two years ago today I was competing in the race of all races (for me at least)....The Hawaii Ironman. I know that the 2008 IM has come and gone but this is my two year anniversary. It's around 9am EST, which means it's 3am in Hawaii, and I think I was already up two years ago. Boy, has life changed....I was in the best shape of my life, trying to break 11 hours...and this morning I awoke to a hungry baby with a poopie diaper. I can say that both days are equally as rewarding, from pushing myself to what I thought was the limit of my capabilities (before child birth of course) to having more influence then anyone else on another human being. I can remember bits and pieces of the race that day; starting with a rainbow while waiting in line for the port-o-john, to babbling about needing to pump up my tires (but not knowing how), to having a volunteer help me figure out where the swim start was (I was a bit nervous),to treading water for what seemed like forever, to the bike turn around, to the wind that no one else felt on the way back, to loosing myself around mile 70, to finding myself again at mile 85, to feeling every emotion possible on the run, to wondering how there were that many people named "Becky" around me (I did not know people were looking up my number to find my name), to loosing myself again at mile 14, to seeing Peter Reid in the NEL (for real I did), to watching 11 hours pass on my watch with 2.4 miles left to run, to the final push to the finish line and feeling no greater amount of accomplishment in the world!! I don't think I can ever thank my family and friends who supported me all that time ago....I don't think I could have done as well without the encouragement, training partners, and all that my family did!! I hope to go back someday and break my 11 hour mark. This might even give me the "fire under my butt" to start really training again. I think I'll go look at the photos from St. Croix, and Hawaii and maybe go for a run with Lilly!!

1 comment:

Author said...

It's strange when Kona passes and we're not there, how emotions are dug up. I felt rather emotional the other day, as well.